Highly skilled, self motivated, IT specialist with over 20 years experience in systems development, information management and user support/training. Uses analytical skills to conceive, design and develop systems that improve user efficiency. Provides support and training to users of all abilities and all levels of seniority. As a trainer is able to explain complex concepts in a clear and concise manner.
- Java including JSP/Servlets/Beans, Java ME and Android
- Linux (Redhat/Fedora)
- SQL, especially MySQL
- Microsoft Windows/Office
- OpenOffice/Libre Office
- Novell Directory Services
- Legacy languages including Paradox Application Language, Organiser Programming Language, COBOL and BASIC
- Low level languages include Z80 Assembler and Microchip PIC controller assembler
- A mobile data capture system for street wardens, written using Java ME running on Sharp Zaurus handhelds. Captured data was automatically imported into a database. This replacing a paper based system, saving time and costs on data entry.
- Various intranet systems to allow the validation of service users outside office hours, resulting in a reduction of unauthorised use of facilities. These are JSPs/Servlets running on a Tomcat server.
- A system to securely store CRB Check outcomes in order to comply with information management policies. The textual outcomes were encrypted to prevent access by all except authorised users.
- An intranet based check in/check out system resulting in improved team working and lone worker safety. (JSP/Servlets)
- A survey application on Psion hand-held devices, tailored to client specifications. This was written for the Pennine Way project but adopted by many national trails.
- Various websites for a range of clients from individuals to small businesses and voluntary groups. I coded the first Pennine Way website.
- 2012 to present, Head of Tech, SimpleUsability
- 1998 to 2012, IT Officer, Communities Directorate, Calderdale Council
- 1990 to 1998, Systems Development Officer, Leisure Services, Calderdale Council
- 1986 to 1990, Computer Assistant, Leisure Services, Calderdale Council
- 1984 to 1986, Clerical Assistant (Computer), Leisure Services, Calderdale Council
- Photography; I work with film and digital, see my Flickr account
- In-line skating; I’m ICP Level 1 qualified, see my skate website
- School governance; I have been Chair of Governors at Midgley school since 2007
- PlayStation (sk8_geek on PSN; sk8geek was already taken!)
- Climbing (though I haven’t done this for ages)